WILLIAMS TOUR GUIDE - Spring/Summer 2017

 


Get your kicks on Route 66


From the Williams Tour Guide print publication

Known as the “Gateway to the Grand Canyon®,” Williams is located in the heart of the Kaibab National Forest at an elevation of 6,770 feet and serves as the forest’s headquarters.

Founded in 1880, Williams was named for the famous trapper, scout and mountain man, “Old Bill Williams,” whose statue stands at the west end of the city.  The large mountain directly south of town is named Bill Williams Mountain.
Williams was the last town in America on Historic Route 66 to be bypassed by the freeway. Interstate 40 replaced the last surviving segment on Oct. 13, 1984.

Boasting seven area fishing lakes, hiking trails up Bill Williams Mountain and down into Sycamore Canyon, an alpine ski area and cross country ski trails, four seasons of weather, and an abundance of wildlife, Williams offers unlimited recreational opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast.

Take a self-guided walking tour in the Historic Downtown District with the help of a brochure available at the Williams-Forest Service Visitor Center on Railroad Avenue. Stroll along the antique brick sidewalks for a trip back to yesteryear.
Find more information at the City of Williams/Forest Service Visitor Center, 200 W. Railroad Ave., or call (928) 635-4061, or visit www.experiencewilliams.com.

Map

(Click to open in new window)

Map: